08/02/2014 § Leave a comment
My parents recently moved to Niamey and invited me to visit them – I of course took this opportunity to discover a country completely foreign to me and had absolutely no idea what to expect.
Here are 6 things I immediately noticed upon my arrival as we drove through the capital of Niger:
1. Though trash bags have been outlawed in 2013 in Niger, Niger has a problem managing its trash. My mom’s friend told me the locals joke that the national bird and flower of the country are a black trash bag.
3. Gasoline is often sold in liquor bottles at vendors along the road – a way more affordable option for locals who travel on their scooters.
4. Donkeys, goats, cattle, camels, over-loaded vans… these are a few things that are normally on the road here.
5. Drying clothes out on the bridge is common.
6. A major rail called the Niger-Abdijan railway is being constructed and will link Niger to the Ivory Coast, which will be huge for improving infrastructure and development.